Datebook: Goings on in Toronto
Whirlwind of Music, a TSO light classics concert, is presented Oct. 13, 7:30 p.m. and Oct. 14, 3 p.m. at Roy Thomson Hall. $29-$84. 416-872-4255, roythomson.com.
Skydiggers, Toronto roots-rock band, performs Oct. 13, 8 p.m. at the Glenn Gould Studio. $34.50. 416-872-4255, roythomson.com.
The Blues Suite, commissioned by the Toronto Blues Society, is performed by composers Diana Braithwaite and Chris Whiteley, Oct. 19, 8 p.m. at the Glenn Gould Studio. $29.50. 416-872-4255, roythomson.com.
Monuments and Gems, the 23rd Massed Military Band Spectacular, with over 120 musicians from Toronto's Navy, Air Force and Army bands, is presented Oct. 21, 2 p.m. at Roy Thomson Hall. $39.50-$89.50. 416-872-4255, roythomson.com.
The New Orford Quartet is featured by Mooredale Concerts, Oct. 28, 3:15 p.m. at Walter Hall. $30. 416-922-3714 ext. 103, mooredaleconcerts.com.
Hong Kong SAR 15th Anniversary Celebration Concert, is presented by the Chinese Artists Society of Toronto and the Multi-Culture and Folk Arts Association of Canada, featuring the CAST Philomusica Orchestra, Chinese pianist Wai-Ching Rachel Cheung in her Canadian debut, and a violin ensemble of 100 children, Oct. 28, 7:30 p.m. at Richmond Hill Centre for the Arts, 10268 Yonge St. $28, $38 & $50; VIP $88. 905-787-8811, rhcentre.ca. Concert information: 416-733-4644.
Soulpepper Theatre’s October productions include:
• Death of a Salesman, award-winning production of the Arthur Miller classic;
• The Crucible, Arthur Miller's classic account of the famous Salem witch trials;
• Endgame, by absurdist Samuel Beckett, a previous Dora award-winner for Soulpepper;
• Alligator Pie, bringing the poems of Canada's Father Goose, Dennis Lee, to theatrical life.
Performances run in repertory at the Yonge Centre for the Performing Arts in the Distillery Historic District. Times and tickets: box office, 416-866-8666 or soulpepper.ca.
Sister Act, Broadway musical comedy hit, is presented to Nov. 4 at the Ed Mirvish Theatre (formerly The Canon), 244 Victoria St. Performances: Tues.-Sat. 8 p.m., Wed., Sat., Sun. 2 p.m. No show Oct. 31, 8 p.m. 416-872-1212, mirvish.com.
Bloodless, a new Canadian musical based on a true murder story, is presented to Oct. 28 at Panasonic Theatre, 651 Yonge St. Performances: Tues.-Sat. 8 p.m., Wed., Sat., Sun. 2 p.m. 416 872-1212, mirvish.com.
Miss Caledonia, written and performed by Toronto actor and writer Melody A. Johnson, is presented by Tarragon Theatre, to Nov. 22, in the Extra Space. Performances: Tues.-Sat., 8 p.m.; matinees Sun. and select Sat. 2:30 p.m. $24. No Great Mischief, a saga of familial loss and love adapted from the novel by Alistair MacLeod, continues to Oct. 21 in the Mainspace. $48-$53/seniors $38-$43. 416-531-1827, tarragontheatre.com.
Jamie Oliver, British celebrity chef, will be on stage at Massey Hall Oct. 19, 8 p.m. for conversation and Q&A. $49.50-$99.50. Tickets include Oliver's new book, Jamie Oliver's Great Britain: 130 of My Favorite British Recipes, from Comfort Food to New Classics. 416-872-4255, roythomson.com.
Fallsview Casino, Niagara Falls:
• Jersey Nights, the music of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, to Oct. 21 (excluding Oct. 16) various matinee and evening performances, from $25.
• Dancing Queen, the hits of Abba, Oct. 26-Nov. 11 (excluding Oct. 30 and Nov. 6), various matinee and evening performances, from $25.
Avalon Theatre. 877-833-3110 or ticketmaster.ca.
Casino Rama, Orillia:
• Jeff Foxworthy, comedian, Oct. 14, 1 & 8 p.m., from $45.
• The Fab Four, Beatles tribute band, Oct. 20, 2 & 9 p.m., from $29.
• Air Supply, Australian soft rock duo, Oct. 26-27, 9 p.m., from $35.
416-870-8000/casinorama.com or box office.
• Foreigner, Oct. 19, 9 p.m., from $30.
• The Australian Pink Floyd Show, Oct. 27, 9 p.m., from $25.
The Coliseum. 519-258-7878/800-991-7777, ticketmaster.ca