Forever Young Information

Canada's Adult Lifestyle Publication

Being a caregiver doesn’t have to be taxing

By Canadian Revenue Agency
April 17, 2017 - 0 comments

When it comes to taking care of an aging parent, sometimes the best place for mom or dad is your own home. With a parent all set to move in, you’re ready to accept the challenge of caring for a loved one with health issues. To make it a little easier, make sure you take advantage of the variety of tax credits administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) that are available for eligible caregivers. 

If your parent (or another dependant) lived with you at any time in 2016, you may be eligible to claim the caregiver amount. In addition, you may also be able to claim the family caregiver amount. To qualify, your parent must be dependent on you because of an impairment in physical or mental functions. The CRA may ask for a signed statement from a medical practitioner showing when the impairment began and how long it is expected to last. However, you do not need a signed statement if the CRA has already approved Form T2201, Disability Tax Credit Certificate, for the dependant. If you and another person provide the support together, you can split the claim. 

Apply for tax credits

The disability tax credit is a non-refundable tax credit that helps individuals with disabilities or their caregivers (that’s you) reduce the amount of income tax they may have to pay. To be eligible, a person must have a severe and prolonged impairment in physical or mental functions. You can help your parent apply for the disability tax credit (DTC) by filling out Part A of Form T2201, Disability Tax Credit Certificate. You also have to get Part B of the form certifi ed by a medical practitioner. Then you can send the form to the CRA for approval. Individuals claiming the DTC can fi le online regardless of whether or not their Form T2201 has been submitted to the CRA for that tax year.

The home accessibility tax credit may allow a senior or disabled person or a person supporting a senior or disabled person to claim up to $10,000 in eligible renovation expenses. Whether you choose to build a ramp off the front door or remodel your bathroom to make the sink or shower more accessible, it’s important to keep your records (including receipts and invoices) so you have proof of the expenses. Generally, you must keep records and supporting documents for at least six years. For more information and to find out if you’re eligible, go to and select “home accessibility tax credit.” 

Eligible medical expenses

Between your 9-to-5 and keeping the home front in check, there just aren’t enough hours in the day. You realize that maybe you could use a little help managing tasks like giving medications and arranging doctor’s visits. If you hired an attendant, you may be able to claim amounts paid for in-home attendant care or for care received at other establishments, such as a nursing home.

On occasion, you’ve had to go the distance (literally) to make sure your parent is receiving the medical attention they need. You may be able to claim transportation costs if treatment is not available within 40 kilometres of their residence (a.k.a. your home). Beyond that, if you had to travel at least 80 kilometres (one way) to an appointment, you may be able to claim accommodation, meals, and parking expenses in addition to transportation costs.

For more information on how to claim travel and eligible medical expenses, go to To get started on your return, go to


No comments have been posted yet.

Leave a Comment

Please confirm you are human:

What is the capital of Canada?