Discover your style
What do you love? What says “home” when you walk into a room? Discover your style by noticing what tones, colors, shapes, and arrangements you would like your home to model in its own way—in your own way. Descriptive words and inspirational images will help lead the way!
Brainstorm inspiration words. Create a short list of words to express the look you want. Think about who you are, what you like, and how others might describe you. Consider the style of your home’s architecture, the surrounding landscape, your favorite books, hobbies, style of clothing, etc. If you don’t live alone, list words that describe your family, your spouse. Some examples of inspiration words are:
Browse images. Consider it an investment and not an indulgence to look at magazines and favorite online sources for photos of rooms you connect with. If you see a style you love, study it and dream up your version of it. The most helpful examples will have at least one aspect in common with your space: room size or layout, style of windows, architectural details, etc. This might spark more ideas for your inspiration word list.
Here are some tips on how you can make your very own inspiration board.
1. Choose a bulletin board. Or find a blank space on a wall you can take over for a season.
2. Gather inspiration elements. Search your home, magazines, online sources, and even the outdoors for photos or objects that represent what makes your heart sing. Include mementos, scrapbook paper, fabric and paint swatches, fonts, photos, leaves or fl owers, and your doodles of lamps, patterns, or furniture arrangements.
3. Arrange and pin the pieces. The pleasure of grouping, overlapping, and rearranging the colors, photos, textures, and ideas becomes a vacation from your usual routine. It can be addicting!
4. Hang the board where it will motivate you. But don’t stop there. Continue brainstorming throughout the week. Pull elements down that you grow tired of and put new ones up as you feel inspired. See what works, what clashes, what feeds your vision!
5. Take a photo. This visual reference will keep you focused on your style goals when you are out and about or looking for particular pieces. Step back and look at your board. Do you see YOU? You are precious. You are wonderful. You are unique and special. You need to make time for that girl to be who she was created to be.
Excerpted from: Simple Decorating: 50 Ways to Inspire Your Home. Copyright © 2017 by Melissa Michaels. Published by Harvest House Publishers, Eugene, Oregon. www.harvesthousepublishers.com. Used by Permission.