Keep hunger away to stave off weight gain
Never go hungry. That’s dietitian and nutrition and food expert Christy Brissette’s secret to winning at weight loss.
“That’s where smart snacking comes in. Research suggests people who snack between meals are less likely to be overweight or obese,” she explains.
Here’s how she describes the anatomy of the perfect weight loss snack: Research shows that 200 calories or less, with a combination of protein, fibre and healthy fats helps keep the ‘hangries’ away. The result? You’re less likely to overeat at your next meal.
Two studies cited by Brissette suggest that having 1.5 ounces (23 almonds in an ounce) of almonds can keep hunger away. Adding almonds to their snack routine made participants eat less at lunch and dinner.
Carrot Almond Protein-Packed “Sushi”
Vegan, Low-Carb, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Low in Sugar
Makes 24 sushi rolls or 3 servings (1 serving is 8 rolls) Ingredients “Rice”
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) natural whole almonds
• 1 cup (250 mL) baby carrots (or regular carrots, peeled and chopped into one-inch chunks)
• 1/2 Tbsp. (7 mL) lime juice
• Pinch of salt
• 1/4 cucumber, julienned
• 1/4 mango, julienned
• 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) slivered almonds
Other • 3 nori sheets (seaweed)
Spicy Almond Dipping Sauce
• 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) almond butter
• 1 1/2 Tbsp. (22 mL) plain, unsweetened almond beverage
• 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) lime juice
• 1 Tbsp. (7 mL) gluten-free tamari sauce
• Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Place the almonds, carrots, lime juice and salt in a food processor or blender and pulse until a rice-like texture is formed.
2.Place a sheet of nori on a piece of wax paper. Distribute 1/4 cup of the almond carrot “rice” horizontally across the nori sheet, leaving an inch at the bottom (closest to you). Place 1/3 of the fi llings (cucumber, mango, slivered almonds) on top of the “rice”.
3. Prepare a small bowl of warm water and wet your fi ngers. Start rolling the sushi away from you. Leave a 1/2 inch space at the end so you can paint some water with your fi ngers and then seal the sushi like an envelope.
4. Place sushi roll on a cutting board and with a wet, sharp knife, cut horizontally in half, then in quarters, and then into eighths.
5. To make the Spicy Almond Dipping Sauce, combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until combined. To make sauce thinner, add more almond beverage.
If you’d like it thicker, add more almond butter. Serve each serving of eight pieces of sushi with a third of the dipping sauce.
Note: If you’re worried about rolling sushi, you can always enjoy as hand rolls. Just pack the almond “rice” and fi llings in the nori sheets and roll in shape of a cone.
Recipe provided by California almonds (Almonds.com).